Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Dora Chong from group 14 of your Critical Thinking and Communication seminar. I am writing this letter as an opportunity for you to know me better. 

Growing up, I have always looked up to my father who is an engineer. The idea of finding solutions and making things work excites me. I excel in mathematics in school; the thrill of solving problems drove me to pursue an education in engineering, particularly the field of aerospace as I am intrigued by how such a massive vehicle can glide in the sky for long hours with the use of meticulous calculations, laws of physics, and more. I graduated with a diploma in Aerospace Technology a year ago. Aerospace is a sub-field of mechanical engineering, hence in hopes to broaden my knowledge, I decided to further my studies in the latter. 

I struggle with articulating my thoughts properly. Although I have improved fairly much over the years, I still lack confidence in speaking. I am unconfident in my enunciation and sentence structures which has led me to be precarious when speaking. As a result, I face issues with slurs and stuttering especially when speaking candidly without a script. On the other hand, I am certain in what I wish to say, and the message that I would like to convey often times. This is evident as I write relatively well. I score better in essay writings as compared to oral examinations in school.

Communication becomes increasingly important as it acts like a bridge to the people around us. I hope to learn more about the rules of grammar and master them as I continue to enroll in this module. I also aim to sharpen my critical thinking so as to build on more meaningful content when communicating. As such, I believe that I can become a more confident speaker by the end of the module. Communication is a powerful skill to have and I am thankful for this opportunity to hone it. 


Best regards,

Dora Chong




Read

Timothy

Comments

  1. Hello Dora,
    After reading your letter, I am not able to find any mistake. Thus, I feel that it is well-written and concise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dora, your letter is well structured and I enjoyed its content. However, I found a sentence with an error which you may wish to correct. *"I am intrigued by how such A massive vehicle can glide in the sky for long hours "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dora,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and yet detailed letter and the personal sharing. I appreciate how the content is well aligned with the assignment brief, the organization is straight forward, and the language use generally effective. You've done a very fine job providing supporting information for each specific content area, allowing us readers to gain a good understanding of who you are.

    From the reflection on your comm skills strength and weakness, it's easy to see that you have great potential for becoming an effective communicator because you know what you need and you have the motivation to improve. You mention your interest in aerospace, math and science. That's all great, and as you know, the ability to communicate your ideas is essential for all of these fields.

    There are a couple areas of language use in this letter that you can improve upon review:
    -- I excel in mathematics in school; the thrill of solving problems drove me.... > (inconsistent verb tense usage)
    -- Aerospace is a sub-field of mechanical engineering, hence in hopes to broaden my knowledge, I decided to further my studies in the latter. > (comma splice)

    I look forward to working with you further throughout the term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary_RR draft 4 (FINAL)

Critical Reflection